How do you end up with the highest-quality, best-tasting dishes? You start with the highest-quality, best-tasting ingredients! For our shrimp dishes, that means heading south of the border.
5 Reasons Our Shrimp Come from Mexico
Experience the greatness of Mexican brown shrimp without leaving Idaho with Boise’s freshest seafood!
- Wild Caught – we choose wild-caught over farmed any day and every day. The shrimp live in the nutrient-rich environment of the warm waters off Mexico’s coast, eating their natural diet.
- Flavor – Growing in their natural habitat in the Sea of Cortez yields bold-flavored and sweet meat – just like you want it to be.
- Sustainability – we partner and build relationships with fishers who harvest with the utmost care and know the importance of not overfishing or disturbing the natural environment.
- Clean – wild-caught seafood is free from the antibiotics and hormones used in farmed varieties.
- Size – The Mexican brown shrimp we source for the shrimp + grits are U8’s – one of the largest you can get. We use U15’s for the appetizers. The “U” stands for “under,” meaning it takes less than that number to make a pound.
Mexican Brown Shrimp on the Menu
With such a gorgeous product, it’s no wonder we use it all over the menu, from starters to entrées.
- Shrimp scampi is a great way to get things kicked off with its delicate white wine butter sauce and grilled garlic crostini. Don’t worry… we won’t judge if you want to pick up the bowl and drink the broth.
- For the purists, the prawn cocktail is the best way to get the sweet meat’s full taste. Squeeze with a little fresh lemon and perhaps dip in the housemade cocktail sauce.
- Order the seafood platter for the complete taste of Boise’s freshest seafood, including Alaskan king crab legs, Kumamoto oysters, Maine lobster tail, and large Mexican prawns.
- Much like the seafood platter, the fishmarket salad offers a section of our fresh seafood – Dungeness crab, bay scallops, and both bay and prawn shrimp – on a bed of organic romaine with tomatoes, avocado, and green goddess dressing.
- A new addition to the menu, which is quickly becoming a fan favorite, is the shrimp + grits. Blackened prawns top Anson Mills native blue corn grits with Ballard Farms white cheddar, pork belly, English peas, fresh corn with honey and preserved lime.
The attention to sourcing the best prawns and then preparing them with care makes a BIG difference when it comes to the Mexican brown shrimp we serve at Chandlers.